Thursday, April 24, 2014

Wine Tasting – Yealands Estate Sauvignon Blanc

Name: Yealands Estate Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc
Variety: 100% Sauvignon Blanc
Region: Marlborough, New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Year: 2008
Price: $21 à $7.95

Winery Review: This aromatic wine show lifted flavours of blackcurrant with underlying notes of wet stone and thyme. The palate is elegant yet full with sufficient weight and texture, balanced by flinty minerality. This wine is a fantastic match with foods such as cheese salad, poultry dishes and a wide range of seafood dishes including freshly shucked natural oysters, prawns, green lip mussels and creamy scallops.

My Review: I WAS NOT A FAN OF THIS WINE. I’M STILL NOT A FAN OF THIS WINE. I really liked the color, though: bright and almost colorless. But the second I started to move toward the glass, all I could smell was cat pee and green peppers. This wine had a SERIOUS green pepper nose. When I was a little kid, my mom went out of town and my dad was charged with making us dinner. He decided to make steamed okra. I have been scarred ever since. The okra was slimy and had this horrible smell much like sour green peppers and jalapeños. The smell of this wine brought be back to that memory. I was instantly reluctant to even taste this wine. The palate of this wine was well translated and echoed notes of the nose of this wine. This wine was stony, green pepper-y, non-spicy jalapeños-y and okra-y on the palate. I really never want to happen across this wine every again…so unfortunate.

With food?: I didn’t try this wine with food.

No comments:

Post a Comment