Sunday, January 26, 2014

Wine Tasting— Chateau Vieux Duché Merlot/Cab/Cab

Name: Chateau Vieux Duché Lalande de Pomerol
Variety: 60% Merlot, 30% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Cabernet Franc
Region: Lalande de Pomerol, Bordeaux, France
Country: France
Year: 2009
Price: $19.95

Winery Review: Aromas of black fruits, smoked meats, coffee and mocha characteristics with a medium full palate impression and lengthy, superb finish. Tannins are subdued and round, evident upon opening, but dissipate with a short time in the glass. Excellent typicity of the “little” appellation next to Pomerol.

My Review: Smells like dirt. And farm animals. And dirt. I wasn’t particularly fond of this wine. I only agree with the winery review’s notes of the aroma of black fruits; otherwise, I found this wine a bit too earthy. I could point out aromas of hay and hot rocks. Whatever fruit flavors are incorporated, they are very subdued, unless paired with food.

With food?: At first, I tried the wine on its own. The above review is my take on the wine from that first sample. I tried the wine again, but this time, after having a bite of the Manchego cheese we were provided. The fruits in the wine opened up and the wine became much sweeter, more palatable and pleasant. This wine could be perfectly paired with beef or other red meats.

No comments:

Post a Comment