Sunday, January 26, 2014

Wine Tasting— Babich Sauvignon Blanc

Name: Babich Sauvignon Blanc
Variety: 100% Sauvignon Blanc
Region: Marlborough, New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Year: 2012
Price: $14.95


Winery Review: A juicy white, with bright acidity and lean lemon, lime and green apple flavors. A note of fresh thyme graces the finish. Drink Now.

My Review: I found this wine very surprising. My initial impression of its aroma was that of fruity gummy bears. I am not necessarily accustomed to a Sauvignon Blanc tasting or smelling particularly sweet, however, I was surprised that this one contradicted my previous experience with the variety. Letting it linger on the palate, I found subtle tones of grass or herb, perhaps not thyme, and definite acidity. I agree with the general flavor notes given by the winery review but I’d add that this wine has a dry, almost tart taste that doesn't linger past consumption.

With food?: I didn't try this particular wine with food, but I imagine some seafood would allow the citrus fruits to express more fully.

No comments:

Post a Comment