Thursday, April 24, 2014

Wine Tasting – Librandi Ciro Rosso Classico

Name: Librandi Ciro Rosso Classico
Variety: 100% Gaglioppo
Region: Ciro, Calabria, Italy
Country: Italy

Year: 2009
Price: $14 à $3.95

Winery Review: Don’t let the pale garnet color fool you: this is a substantial wine. Aromas of red fruits and spice complement undertones of cranberries, wild berries, and plums. On the palate, ripe tannins and good body make for an incredibly rich, yet easygoing red wine. Pair this wine with sausage, spicy curry sauces, hot soppressata, and tandoori chicken.

My Review: Rather than a pale garnet, I found this wine to be orange; a light blood-orange color. This wine smelled deep and hot like a port or a congnac. Cranberries were very evident on the palate as were apple and other red berries. There was some heat, suggesting this wine may have had a bit too much alcohol that wasn’t integrated well. The midpalate was tannic and dry and was balanced with a smooth and sweet finish. I liked this wine. I’m not sure I’d go out of my way to have it, but it was pleasantly diverting.

With food?: I tasted this wine on its own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment